Horse Welfare Assistant Training and Handling, Rolleston Rehoming Centre
Fixed term contract until April 2022 covering maternity leave, full-time (42 hours)
Blue Cross are one of the UK’s leading animal welfare organisations for animals. We support sick, injured and homeless pets and care for more than 40,000 animals every year through our rehoming, veterinary and education programmes.
What is the role?
In this role you will be primarily caring for horses on site at Blue Cross, including all aspects of horse care, general yard work and assisting with vet and farrier visits. You will spend time training horses to the point of rehoming and assist with the rehoming process.
You will be working with a team of like-minded individuals to deliver the highest standards of welfare based on the most up to date understanding of horse welfare and training and will advise potential new owners on the care and welfare of horses. Some of the horses that arrive at Blue Cross have had little to no handling and will require complex training or retraining. There will be no riding involved in this role.
This role is being offered on a permanent basis. You will be required to work 42 hours covering weekends and bank holidays on a rota.
If you excel in an environment where you can see the difference you make every day then this is the role for you. Interested? Then apply and lets work together to see if this is the role for you.
Want to know more the detail? Great! We have attached the job description which hopefully gives you everything you need.
What is required?
We are looking for people with the following:
• Professional experience of working with, training, and handling a variety of horses and ponies
• Experience of starting and producing different types of horses and ponies
• A working knowledge of caring for a variety of field and stable kept horses
• Knowledge of basic veterinary procedures, common horse ailments and injuries
• Experience of working to strict health and safety procedures
• Good communication, literacy, numerical, computer and administrative skills.
It would also be great if you had:
• Experience with working with members of the public in a customer service environment
• Experience of working with and coaching volunteers
• Experience of working within charity fundraising and promotional events
• The relevant driving license to tow a car and trailer (B+E)
• Practical application of behavioral science and learning theory when training horses
To apply for this role, all candidates must complete the online application process.
To read more about the benefits Blue Cross has to offer, please click on the 'What We Offer' tab or paste the following into your browser: https://jobs.bluecross.org.uk/BlueCross/Benefits
The interview process for this role will include a competency-based interview as well as a horse handling assessment. Please be aware that due to the current circumstances with COVID19, interviews will be held virtually.
Salary: £15,910-£18,500 per annum, pro rata
Closing Date: 3 August 2021
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early should we receive an overwhelming response.
Blue Cross holds inclusion as a core organisational value. We positively encourage applications from suitably qualified, experienced and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status or pregnancy and maternity. We actively embrace our differences and know that it is our differences that make us unique. You are very welcome at Blue Cross, without the need to hide any part of who you are.