Pet Health Advisor/Driver, London animal hospitals (London Victoria, Merton, Hammersmith)
Permanent, full time
Blue Cross are one of the UK’s leading rehoming organisations for animals. We support sick, injured and homeless pets and care for more than 40,000 animals every year through our rehoming, veterinary and education programmes.
What is the role?
The Blue Cross hospitals provide 24/7 veterinary care for pets whose owners can’t afford private veterinary fees. Pet Health Advisors/Ambulance Drivers are a key role in the fast-paced hospitals, ensuring effective delivery of our services and the best outcome for our patients and their owners. They do this by providing the highest level of customer service in all situations, both face to face or over the phone. They are the link between our clients and the clinical team and have the ability to build relationships with clients, their pets and all members of the hospital teams.
This is a very mixed role requiring flexibility and the ability to turn your hand to a large variety of tasks. On-site working at our sites in London Victoria, Merton and Hammersmith will be required as well as coordinating mobile services for eligible clients.
On site duties include providing a friendly welcoming service, assisting with client queries within the hospitals and supporting a busy reception area. The Pet Health Advisor/Ambulance Driver will be expected to drive the ambulances in a safe and professional manner across London and beyond, as well as transporting animals, medicines and completing vehicle maintenance checks. Supporting clients with telephone queries in a calm, professional manner and assessing the appropriate solutions for their pets are other integral responsibilities of the role. The ability to adapt to a variety of clients needs and communications styles is essential.
The Pet Health Advisor/Ambulance Driver will be able to adapt to individual client’s needs in what is a busy and demanding environment, while demonstrating patience, empathy and understanding. You will have a genuine desire to improve the lives of pets and their clients and be proactive in the promotion and delivery of Blue Cross aims.
This is a full-time role of 42 hours per week on a rota covering weekends, evenings and late shifts, Bank Holidays and on call. Some home working may also be required. Due, however, to the nature of the work of Blue Cross, and this post, it may be necessary to exceed these hours when the workload demands.
Want to know more the detail? Great! We have attached the job description which hopefully gives you everything you need.
What is required?
We are looking for people with the following:
• A full, clean driving license and confident in ability to drive the Blue Cross vans
• Good standard of secondary education including English and Mathematics at GCSE or equivalent
• Ability to travel to any of the three London Blue Cross sites as and when required
• Experience of dealing and interacting with a wide variety of the general public and their enquiries, both face to face and over the phone
• Experience of working in a busy reception/front of house environment
• An understanding of IT functions (Word, Outlook, Excel) and social media
• Experience of caring for/handling animals
• Understanding of the importance of a clean, comfortable environment for animals
• Ability to work under pressure
It would also be great if you had:
• Previous experience of working in the charity/voluntary sector
• An understanding of confidentiality and Data Protection legislation
• Previous experience of a busy hospital/clinic environment
• Qualification in Animal Care or similar
• Qualification in customer service or similar
• Understanding of animal health, wellbeing and behaviour
To apply for this role, all candidates must complete the online application process.
To read more about the benefits Blue Cross has to offer, please click on the 'What We Offer' tab or paste the following into your browser: https://jobs.bluecross.org.uk/BlueCross/Benefits
Please be aware that due to the current circumstances with COVID19, interviews will be held via Microsoft Teams.
Salary: £18,259 - £19,460 plus £3,954 London Weighting Allowance per annum
Closing Date: 25 July 2021
Interview Dates: Week commencing 26 July
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early should we receive an overwhelming response.
Blue Cross holds inclusion as a core organisational value. We positively encourage applications from suitably qualified, experienced and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status or pregnancy and maternity. We actively embrace our differences and know that it is our differences that make us unique. You are very welcome at Blue Cross, without the need to hide any part of who you are.