Horse Welfare Assistant Training and Riding-pony, Rolleston horse rehoming unit
Permanent, full time
What is the role?
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Horse Welfare Assistant Training and Riding-Pony to join our fabulous team at the Rolleston horse rehoming unit. This role involves maintaining the care and welfare of the horses and ponies at the unit, training and riding a variety of horses and ponies onsite and all other aspects of horse care such as yard work, bringing on unhandled and unbacked horses and much more!
This is a permanent, full time role working 42 hours per week on a locally agreed rota including weekends & bank holidays. Due, to the nature of the work of Blue Cross, and this post, it will be necessary to exceed these hours when the work load demands. For more information on this role and the duties required please read the attached job description.
We are looking for people with the following:
• Valid manual driving licence
• GCSE English and mathematics or equivalent
• BHS stage 3, NVQ3 or equivalent professional experience
• Practical experience of riding and training a variety of horses and ponies
• Starting and producing young horses
• Riding ponies from 11.2 h upward
• A working knowledge of caring for a variety of field kept and stabled horses/ponies
• Knowledge of basic horse veterinary procedures, common horse ailments and injuries
• Backing and bringing on horses with unknown histories.
• Experience of working to strict health and safety procedures
• Good communication, literacy, numerical, computer and administrative skills
It would also be great if you had:
• Working with members of the public in a customer service environment
• Working with and mentoring volunteers
• Charity fund raising and assisting with promotional events
• Qualified in B&E trailer driving, LGV driving, or experience of transporting horses
• Practical application behavioural science and learning theory when training horses
• Working with unhandled horses and ponies
• Assessing, creating training plans and riding horses with behavioural problems
• Preparing horses and ponies for rehoming
• Competition riding and training
Salary: £15,910 - £18,500 per annum
Closing Date: 12th October 2021
To apply for this role, all candidates must complete the online application process. We reserve the right to close this vacancy early should we receive an overwhelming response.
Blue Cross holds inclusion as a core organisational value. We positively encourage applications from suitably qualified, experienced and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status or pregnancy and maternity. We actively embrace our differences and know that it is our differences that make us unique. You are very welcome at Blue Cross, without the need to hide any part of who you are.