Animal Behaviourist, Thirsk Centre
12month Fixed term contract, full time
We are one of the UK’s leading rehoming organisations for animals. We support sick, injured and homeless pets and care for more than 40,000 animals every year through our rehoming, veterinary and education programmes. Thirsk Rehoming Centre plays a vital role in supporting the 40,000 animals helped every year, we pride ourselves on our holistic, empathic, honest approach to Rehoming pets and we will always strive for excellence in all that we do. As a team we are accountable, responsible and proactive in our approach to our vital work but always remember to inject fun into our daily working life’s.
What is the role?
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced, passionate, empathetic and confident Behaviourist to join the Team at Thirsk. The Behaviorist will be responsible for assessing Pet behavior, creating Training plans, supporting Pets in homes and up skilling Team members. Customer service is a vital part of this role, so people skills are essential in build trusting connections with our community, adopters, pet owners and Team members.
Thirsk Centre is currently evolving in all aspects of services offered, through its pets helped scheme and therefore this is an exciting time to be part of the evolution, by making a bigger & better difference for pets in need.
Therefore, the successful candidate will need to demonstrate their positive approach to change, be able to mirror the Blue Cross core Values in pet Welfare, lead by example in their professional conduct, have strong organizational skills to maximize their time efficiently & effectively, plus have the resilience to maintain a positive outlook in spite of adversity.
This is a full-time role of 42 hours per week Monday to Friday. Due to the nature of the work of Blue Cross, and this post, it may be necessary to exceed these hours when the workload demands.
What is required?
We are looking for people with the following:
• Relevant degree (or equivalent qualification or experience)
• Manual driving licence
• Membership of recognised professional pet behaviour body
• Carrying out behaviour and training programmes for dogs / cats
• Extensive experience of working with a variety of dog breeds / temperaments
• Experience in carrying out behavioural assessments of animals
• Experience of working in an office environment with extensive use of MS Office
• Proven experience and success in understanding and resolving pet behaviour, particularly dogs and cats in a rescue environment
It would also be great if you had:
• MSc in behaviour / post graduate diploma in companion animal behaviour counselling
• Certified clinical animal behaviourist (CCAB) or Animal Behaviour and Training Council (ABTC) registered clinical animal behaviourist
• Delivery of training/coaching sessions and production of training materials, lesson plans etc
• Delivery of presentations
• Experience of promoting better understanding of pet behaviour through the media
Want to know more? Great! We have attached the job description which will provide you with more detailed information.
If you excel in an environment where you can see the difference you make every day then this is the role for you. Interested? Then apply and let’s work together to see if this is the role for you.
To apply for this role, all candidates must complete the online application process.
Our recruitment process will be a competency-based interview to find out more about you and we will share lots more information on the role. Following the interview, there will be a hands-on practical exercise, where there will be questions and discussions around Pet behaviour. This will take place on the same day, at the Thirsk centre.
To read more about the benefits Blue Cross has to offer, please click on the 'What We Offer' tab or paste the following into your browser: https://jobs.bluecross.org.uk/BlueCross/Benefits
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early should we receive an overwhelming response.
Salary: £18,060 - £21,000 per annum
Closing Date: 12th July
Interview Date: 17th & 18th July